In the southern peninsular tip of India lies Kanyakumari popular for its towering hills, picturesque surroundings, breathtaking beaches, pretty rivulets, clean rivers and more. The magnificent architecture and sculptures of Kanyakumari attract tourists from different parts of the country. Pilgrimage is one of the prime reasons tourists flock at Kanyakumari in addition to leisure tour. Kanyakumari tourist places offer both spiritual and leisure ambiance. Kanyakumari serves as perfect getaway destination for residents of Tamilnadu and Thiruvananthapuram. Several efforts have been put in place to make sure that easy facilitation to the prominent places in Kanyakumari is made available for the ease and convenience of the tourists.
Kanyakumari tourist places
- Completed in 1956, the beautiful Mahatma Gandhi Memorial is built in a fashion that it will leave its onlookers awestruck. The urn comprising of Gandhi is ashes were placed here before immersion. The Mandapam was built at the same spot in a manner that on October second, the day of Gandhijis birthday the sun rays fall bang on the spot where the urn with his ashes were kept. Entrance to the mandapam is free and it is open to public from 7:00am to 7:00pm
- The immortal poet of Tamilnadu, Thiruvalluvar renowned for his Tamilpoetry and the famous Thirukkural is respected with his statue standing tall. Weighing approximately 2000 tones and about 95 feet high the statue is a magnificent structure worth visiting in Kanyakumari. You can see the statue from 8:00am till 4:00pm.
- Kamarajar Manimandapam was dedicated to Kamarajar. Sri Kamarajar was a freedom fighter, former chief minister of Tamilnadu, president of Indian National Congress and was popularly called the black Gandhi by the masses back in the days. You can visit the mandapam from 7:00am to 7:00pm
- Vivekananda Rock memorial attracts large number of tourists and is considered a sacred monument. The rock is considered as Sripada Parai. It is believed that the goddess Kanyakumari did her Tapas on this rock memorial. The memorial has two structures 1) The Vivekananda Mandapam and 2) Shripada Mandapam. Both the mandapams have different sections. Meditation halls, sabhamandapam, Garbha Graham, inner and outer prakaram so on and so forth. There is an entrance fees to be paid in order to visit the memorial and the mandapams.
- Kanyakumari is known for its beaches and picturesque façade of the beach. Kanyakumari is popular for its beautiful and scenic view of the sunrise and sunset. Throughout the year the sunrise can be seen I its full glory and except the months of June, July and August you can catch a beautiful glimpse of the sunset too.
- Suchindram a small village at a distance of 12 kilometer from Kanyakumari is a pilgrim’s destination with beautiful surroundings covered with fields, coconut trees etc. Located on the bank of river Pazhayar, this temple is dedicated to Sri Sthanumalayan.
- Mathoor hanging bridge, Kumari-Hall of history, St Xavier’s church and many more prominent places in Kanyakumari will make your trip to this well-developed place an interesting one.