A city in the Indian state of Tamilnadu is also called Tiruchi or Tiruchirapalli. Trichy is the administrative capital of Trichy district and has the fourth largest urban agglomeration in the state of Tamilnadu. Trichy is home to Kaveri delta which splits into two to form a beautiful and popular island called Srirangam.
The city of Trichy and Tiruchirappalli tourist destinations has a magnificent past and has been passed on from the leadership of one ruler to other over the years. Ruled by the Pandayas, Chola’s, Pallavas, Vijayanagar empire and more Trichy still holds a lot of historical monuments that narrate the story of its historical past. Rockfort is one of the prominent historical monuments. Trichy holds a rap sheet of some great wars fought here that even a non-history buff would find it interesting to learn about Trichys splendid past.
Trichy is considered as an important learning center in Tamilnadu. It is home to prominent institutions like IIT, IIMT, NITT, BHEL, OFT and many more. It goes unsaid the Trichy attracts students and visitor s form different parts of the country. Trichy according to a National urban sanitation policy in 2010 was considered amongst the ten cleanest cities in India.
Trichy presently has a cosmopolitanoutlook primarily because of the student crowd and migrants.Trichy has several exciting places to visit that hold historical significance, modern aesthetics, great architectural appeal so on and so forth.
Important Tiruchirappalli tourist destinations
- Shri Ranganathasamy temple in Trichy tops the chart amongst must visit place sin Trichy. Situated in Srirangam town of Tamilnadu, this prominent temple is dedicated to God Ranganatha. Lord Ranganatha is considered a relining form of God Vishnu. The temple is spread across 156 acres. Besides a holistic trip the temple attracts attention towards its beautiful architecture and art work.
- Situated on an 83 meter tall rock is the Rock fort Ganapathi temple is also called Uchipillaiyar Koil. Besides the temple the rock also attracts attention of its visitors as it is believed to be as old as 3800 million years according to historians. From the rock you can catch a beautiful glimpse of the town and in the temple are you can find several statues that are ancient and still attractive.
- One of the oldest churches in Trichy St Johns church attracts several pilgrims from different corners of the country.
- Dedicated to Lord Shiva Thiruvannaikaval temple is another popular temple built by the earliest Chola – Kochenga Chola. The temple offers a magnificent view of River Cauvery and it is one of the five main Shiva temples in Tamilnadu. The temple has existed for nearly 1800 years which is a reason good enough to visit this place.
- St Joseph’s church is an ancient and historic church that’s extremely popular in Trichy. British Garrison arranged for funding and Schwartz got the church built in 1792. The church offers a tranquil and serene atmosphere making the church a prominent place of attraction and interest in Trichy.
- Built on the river Cauvery is the Kallanai dam which is the oldest water regulator. The dam has a park and temple in the vicinity making it an ideal destination to visit with family and friends.
- Viralimalai Murugan temple, Vayalur Murugan temple, Gunaseelam Vishnu temple, The Mariam man temple, Gangaikondacholapuramtemple Vekkaliamman temple and more are some of the other significant temples that attract pilgrims and devotees from all around.